Drill Type: Catch & Throw Drill
This multi-skill defensive drill teaches players many skills within the same drill!Â Flat mitts are recommended, but you can do this drill with regular mitts as well.
Set up 4 players roughly 20â€² apart from each other in shape of a square (they are the corners).
- Going clockwise, underhand toss to next player where she traps the ball between throwing hand and back of mitt.
- This continues for YOUR determined amount of time, then they reverse direction working on the back hand â€œflipâ€ and still trapping ball in same manner.
- Put another box in the middle of them, with 4 more players doing the same drill.
- The Inner box should in theory make it around before the outer box does with the ball, but you can push them to compete for time and always with no drops.
- When doing back hand flip they must stay low and not come up. This gives them better focus through concentration and knowing that there is another box that they are competing with are compelled to do it faster than the other box.
- You can add a 3rd â€œouterâ€ box or have the remaining players do any number of drills or sit-ups or push ups etc.
Recommended: Softball Fielding Skills and Drills eBook
The Softball Fielding Skills and Drills eBook is packed with 17 game tested drills for an All-Star Defense!!
All explained with step by step instructions, illustrations, diagrams, and coaching tips.
Everything is easy to learn and simple to teach. So you can start using these drills TONIGHT (even if you're new to coaching).