To teach players how to back up and cover infield throws
- Divide players into 3 groups, with each group forming a line in the outfield – left, center, and right field
- Coach is at home base with a bucket of balls
How it Works
- First player in each line steps up in ready stance, then coach hits a ball through the infield.
- Left fielder and center fielder simulate getting behind the infielder to cover in case of an error while right fielder covers 1st base.
- Closest to ball between left and center fielder corrals ball and makes the throw to the right fielder at 1st base.
- Fielders rotate one line over after each at bat.
- If you don`t have an infield available, you can throw down 3 cones 60 feet apart to create your own for the purposes of this drill.
- Make sure to mix in a bunt here or there! Gotta keep the fielders on their toes. In the case of a bunt , all 3 fielders will run to cover closest base.
- You can also start to mix in different combination of runners on base to present different game situations.