Outfielders work on playing the ball at the fence.
Outfielder sets up about 10-15 feet from the fence.
- The coach throws a ball high and deep.
- The outfielder turns and runs back, finds the fence, then leaps to make the catch.
- Repeat for each outfielder.
- Next, outfielders should work on catching balls that “thread the needle” between the
outfielder and the fence.
- On the high and deep balls, the outfielder should be feeling for the fence with outstretched arm.
- When attempting to catch the “thread the needle” balls, the outfielder should use peripheral vision to keep an eye on the fence.