Getting the runner header from first to second out
- Split players into 3 lines, 1 line at shortstop, 1 line at 2nd, and a 3rd line of runners at 1st base
How it Works
- Drill starts with coach hitting a ground ball to either fielder.
- The runner takes off for 2nd while the closest fielder chases down the grounder and his teammate covers 2nd base.
- Fielder throws to teammate at 2nd to get the runner out to finish the rep.
- Fielders head to back of opposite line, runners rotate out to a shortstop line after 2 turns.
- Whether it’s the 2nd baseman or the shortstop, the fielder covering 2nd needs to make sure they are catching the ball in a safe position, away from the runner coming in to 2nd from 1st.
- This drill doubles as a great baserunning drill – make sure players are using proper baserunning technique and running the path hard!