Outfielders learn to run through the catch to properly transfer to the throw.
- Set two cones approximately 3 yards apart, and a target 15-20 yards away. Coach and player stand behind the first cone.
- Player lines up at front cone.
- Coach stands next to player with a softball in her hand.
- Coach says, “Go.”
- Player goes backward to second cone.
- Coach tosses softball into the air.
- Player times her move forward so that she catches the ball as she is running, then makes an accurate throw to the target.
- This drill is all about timing – player should keep her feet moving and explode forward through the ball so that she has momentum for the throw.
- After the catch the player should be bring her glove hand and throwing hand back like she is going to throw the ball.