Outfielders work on making the shoestring catch on balls hit in front of them.
Player sets up in the outfield and the coach stands nearby.
- The coach throws a ball in front of the outfielder.
- The outfielder charges in and tries to make the shoestring catch.
- Once the catch is made, the player rolls the ball back to the coach and runs back to the
- Repeat the drill as desired.
- Outfielders should keep the glove extended at knee height and keep their eyes on the ball. Shovel the glove out to make the catch.
- Reassure outfielders that if the ball hits in front of them, it won’t bounce higher than knee height.
- Players should work on catching balls in the air, and also balls that have bounced off the ground.