The object of this drill is to get the fielder’s body (leading with shoulders & hips) in proper throwing posititon, alignment and gaining momentum towards 1st.
LEAD SHOULDER & HIP DRILL
- Position fielder at S.
- Have 3 markers 3′ or so apart on an angle towards 1st to the left of the fielder.
- Have the same set up to the right of the fielder as well.
- Roll the ball to the fielders left side.
- Fielder fields ball in deep short and aligns lead shoulder and hips towards 1st.
- Begin crow hop/shuffle step at cone 1, release ball at cone 2, follow thru to cone 3.
- Runner jogs back to position & repeat for right side.
Coach emphasizes the importance of rounding the ball on the right side to get on a proper throwing path towards 1st.
Variations: Slide Stepping rt. & lt. side, Crossover Steps rt. & lt. side, Backhand rt. side.
This drill can also can be utilized for 2nd throwing to 3rd or SS and 2nd throwing home.