Outfielders work on playing the ball at the fence.
- Outfielder sets up 5-10 yards from a fence or wall.
- If you don’t’ have access to a fence, place a row of cones marking the location of the fence for the purpose of this drill.
How it Works
- Coach throws a ball high and deep.
- Outfielder turns and runs back.
- She finds the fence and then leaps (or comes forward) and makes the catch.
- Next outfielder goes.
- After the high and deep throws, outfielders work on catching the ball that “threads the needle” between the outfielder and the fence.
- On the high and deep balls the outfielder should be feeling for the fence with an outstretched arm.
- When attempting to catch a “thread the needle” ball the outfielder should be using her peripheral vision to see the wall – it will get bigger as she gets closer to it.