Outfielders work on fielding a ball that is slicing away from them.
- Player and coach stand roughly 10-15 yards apart in an open space.
How it Works
- Coach throws a ball away from the outfielder.
- If the outfielder is in right field the ball is thrown toward the right field foul line to simulate a slice hit by a right-hand batter.
- If the outfielder is in left field the ball is thrown toward the left field foul line to simulate a ball hit by a left-hand batter that is tailing away.
- Player runs and catches the ball.
- After that player catches the ball, next player goes.
- On this type of ball, the outfielder needs to run lateral and in to get to the ball before it hits the ground.
- Outfielders should really be pumping their arms and they must not ease up as the ball will be running down and away from them.