To practice executing a quick pivot in both directions after fielding the ball.
- Line up 4 balls in a straight line, leaving 5 feet of space between each ball.
- Position 6 players as fielders ,15 ft from each ball as shown (2 should be on left side of ball, 2 on right).
- All other players form a line as shown with their gloves, these are the throwers.
- On the coach’s whistle, the first player in the throwers line runs & retrieves the first ball. They then execute a quick pivot and throw the ball to the corresponding fielder.
- The thrower then proceeds up the line, throwing each ball to the corresponding fielder as they go.
- Immediately after the fielder has completed the catch, they should return the ball to the line and hustle back to their spot.
- After the first thrower completes the gauntlet, coach should queue second player in line to go.
- Players can pick up the ball barehanded by pushing it down into the ground and getting a secure grip.
- To pivot, keep the throwing side foot down and swing the glove side foot toward the receiver. Finish with the glove-side shoulder pointing toward the target.
- Make it easier: Start by putting all four receivers on the left side. Then all four receivers on the throwing arm side. Then finish with two players on each side.
- Make it harder: Move the receiving players back several steps. The thrower can complete 8-10 throws instead of 4. Time the throwers through the drill and make it a contest.