This is one of our favorite [tag]softball drills[/tag]. It is called: Overhead Wall Ball. This [tag]softball drill[/tag] is used to teach how to catch a ball that goes overhead and past you. It can also be used by experienced players to perfect this skill.
- All you need is a wall (preferably a tall one), indoors or outdoors, and a rubber ball and glove.
- The player is positioned a few feet from the the wall facing it.
- The player throws the softball up against the wall.
- The player must do the drop step and run to catch the ball that has gone over his/her head.
- The distance of the bounce off the wall is determined by the strength of the throw.
This [tag]softball[/tag] drill can also be done with a partner where the partner throws the ball for the other player. This works well as the receiver doesn’t know how hard the ball will be thrown.