Helps outfielders perfect their throws to the bases.
Player sets up in the outfield. Another player sits on a stool at a base. The coach stands in the infield with a bat.
- The coach hits a ground ball or fly ball to the outfielder, who catches it and throws it to the player seated on the stool.
- The throw must be within the square formed by the seated player’s knees and shoulders. If it’s not, the seated player should let it go.
- This drill can be run to all bases.
- The outfielder should be getting behind the ball, catching it with forward momentum to make a strong throw.
- The outfielder should use their legs, planting with the back foot and stepping forward on the throw. Also, watch for a good release point on the throw.