To practice & improve fielding footwork (crossover, drop step).
- Set up a “tennis court” on the field using cones as markers.
- The ”court” should be a rectangle 30 ft long by 20 ft wide, use dots or more cones to mark out a line down the middle as shown.
- Two players stand on each side of the court, facing each other. One player begins with the ball (Player A).
- Player A throws a pop fly or line drive into Player B’s zone. Player B has to catch the ball using a crossover or drop step to move toward the ball.
- Player B then throws a pop fly or line drive into Player A’s zone. Player A must catch the ball using a crossover or drop step to move toward the ball.
- Repeat until one player misses the ball. When a catch is missed it’s a point for the throwing player. First player to 5 points wins.
- Make it harder: Add in a second ball so that there are two balls going at once.
- Make it easier: For players still learning the fundamentals, perform this drill with a coach on one side of the “imaginary net”. This way the coach can customize the throws to ensure the player feels challenged, but not frustrated.