This drill teaches players to pick the ball up with the bare hand, which will save 1-2 seconds on the player’s throw.
- Player lines up in outfield.
- Coach throws a ground ball to the player or hits one to her.
- Player intentionally mishandles or fumbles the ball with her glove so that she has to pick it up with her bare hand and throw it back to the coach.
- Learning to pick the ball up with the bare hand will save 1-2 seconds on the player’s throw.
- Player should always pick the ball up with her bare hand, never her glove hand as the glove hand will take too long.
- To adjust the difficulty of this drill, have the player start with her back to the coach, then turn around on the sound of the hit.