I found this softball drill off the internet a couple years ago and it has become one of mine and the team’s favorite to do. It is called “around the horn”. If you’re coaching softball, it is a great drill for younger teams still working on their fundamentals.
This drill covers throwing, catching, running the bases, and also helps conditioning. The girls have a blast because they are playing a game.
Around the Horn
- The catcher lines up just in front of homeplate with the ball.
- You will have a runner standing on home.
- She will start to run all the way around the bases as soon as the catcher makes her first throw.
- The catcher throws her ball to second.
- Then second throws the ball to third.
- Third throws the ball to first.
- First throws the ball to short.
- And finally, short throws the ball back to the catcher.
The idea is if the runner reaches home before the final throw, the runner wins.