In today’s video blog post, I want to share with you an excellent softball agility drill to help make your athletes more explosive.
Straight-ahead speed. Quickness. Agility. Balance. These are all skills that you need to have to play better softball. If we can make better athletes, we can make better softball players.
“Jump and Stick” Softball Agility Drill
In this softball agility drill, we want to work on our joint stability and balance. We need this good balance and stability for softball explosion. Control the body. That’s how we can control the bat, control the ball – having control of the body first.
Linear Jump & Stick
- One leg at a time, just hop forward, stick, and hold the landing.
- Flex that knee and you want to try and get to a 90-degree angle at the knee.
- Stick and hold.
- Make sure you work each leg equally, to balance out the right and left.
- Do three sets of five jumps with each leg.
Backward Jump & Stick
- Next, you will do them backwards.
- You just need a moderate hop, because this one’s difficult.
- We need that ability to stop our body from moving one direction, and quickly change to another direction.
- Focus on control of the body so that you can explode the direction you need to for greater success.
- Do three sets of five with each leg.
Lateral Jump & Stick
- Simply balance on one foot, and then jump to the other.
- Hold it for a couple of seconds, then jump back.
- Over and back is one repetition.
- Do three sets of five repetitions.
Remember, it’s body control, balance, stability. Stop that body from going one direction. Get it under control.
For more great softball agility drill tips, be sure to check out my Free Softball Coaching Videos from Championship Coach Sue Enquist! Sue will take you through more great tips on softball hitting, fielding and defense! And don’t forget to “Like” Us on Facebook, where I will share more great softball agility drill ideas and suggestions, and where you can talk to other coaches and players about other important softball topics!