To practice using a dive to catch fly balls or field grounders.
- In the outfield grass, have a fielder kneel about 15 feet away from the coach.
- Fielder has glove, coach has bucket of balls.
- Coach begins the drill by quick flipping a ball just outside the extended reach of the fielder.
- The fielder must dive from a kneel to catch or field the ball.
- Make it harder: Have players partner off and throw diving catches to each other.Â Have players stand up and make the dive from an athletic upright position.Â Â Throw pop-ups that require the player to run into the diving catch.
- Make it easier: Instead of flipping the ball to the fielder, stand directly above her and simply drop the ball straight down to one side or the other.