This drill covers the proper mechanics for drop stepping with the ball when fielding.
- Outfielder lines up in front of coach.
- Coach says “Ready Position.”
- Player stands with feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent, rock side to side, elbows are bent, glove is up, eyes looking in at the imaginary batter.
- Coach says “Drop and Go.”
- Player performs a drop step and turns and runs back.
- Coach throws ball up in the air.
- Player catches the ball.
- Run drill to both glove and throwing sides.
- Remind players that if their body is not turned while catching, the base runner will gain two extra steps (six feet) while the baseman is repositioning herself to make the
- This drill can be performed individually by holding a ball, practicing the turning technique and throwing to a net.