Pitcher practices throwing from the mound, focusing on her footwork.
- Pitcher stands on the rubber.
- Catcher is behind home plate. (35-40 feet away)
- Pitcher goes through motion and throws the ball to the catcher.
- Catcher throws it back and pitcher repeats – going through her motion and throwing the ball to the plate.
- Complete 3 sets of 10-15 pitches
- Pitcher should start with both feet on the rubber. If right-handed, right foot is slightly in front of the left.
- Pitcher should push off the rubber to get more momentum behind pitch.
- Pitcher should “shoot the gun” (make a gun with index finger and thumb) when following through.
- Both pitcher and catcher should be making two-hand catches.
- Motion should be efficient as possible – that means no rocking back or leaning forward.
- If pitcher is not stepping straight forward, draw a line from front foot toward home and have them land on that line when throwing.