To prepare players to field ground balls and immediately follow with a quick throw.
- Divide team into two single file lines that are facing each other about 20-30 feet apart.
- All players should have a glove.
- On the coaches whistle, the player with the ball throws a grounder to the first player in the other line. After throwing, the player immediately runs to the end of the other line as fast as they can (this is a sprint!)
- The player in the receiving line, fields the ground ball, and immediately throws a grounder back to the new person at the front of the other line. After throwing, the player immediately runs to the end of the other line as fast as they can (this is a sprint!)
- Play continues at a fast pace back and forth. Field-Throw-Sprint.
- As players take their turn in front of the line, analyze their “Ready Position” to field the ground ball:
- Feet should be shoulder width apart
- Knees should be slightly bent
- Both hands should hang between the knees loosely
- Body weight should be on the balls of the feet, with a slight forward lean.
- Players should keep their heads down and observe the ball going into the glove.