To improve throwing speed and jump pivot technique.
- Group players into threes and have them stand in a triangle shape with 30 feet between each player.
- All players have a glove, one player has a ball.
- To begin, player with the ball throws the ball in a clockwise direction to teammate.
- Second player catches the ball and performs a jump pivot to get in proper position to throw to the next player. Ball is then thrown to third player.
- Players continue to quickly pass the ball around the triangle, executing a jump pivot after each catch.
- After the ball moves around the triangle three times, reverse the direction and perform the drill going counterclockwise.
- To make the jump pivot, hop slightly off the ground and make a quarter turn toward the target.
- Finish the pivot with the glove side shoulder pointing to the receiver and the throwing arm up in the “L” position.
- The receiver should make a target box at chest level using her glove and bare hand.
- Make it harder: Have the coach dictate when to reverse the ball with a verbal cue. When coach yells “SWITCH!” the ball should change directions.
- Make it easier: Use a regular pivot instead of a jump pivot – leave the pivot planted while swinging the lead foot toward the target.