In today’s video blog post, we are talking about some of the key points of softball hitting as they relate to the stance. Check out this great checklist of things to focus on as you are preparing to swing and hit that ball.
Key Points of Softball Hitting: Stance
You are going to notice that many of your hitters stand differently, or hold the bat differently. As a good coach, you have to allow for that variance because many players have to get into a position where they are comfortable in order to develop their own successful swing technique, and they may look a little different in the stance portion of the swing.
But no matter what your stance position of style, what you DO need to make sure is in place are the following key things:
- Good Balance, with the feet comfortably apart
- Slight, but Equal Bend in the Knees
- Slight Bend in the Hip so that you set the proper plane of the barrel when you get ready to swing
- Make sure the hips and shoulders are facing the plate, or “flat” and square to the plate
- Try to eliminate the over rotation in the stance because over rotation is what sets the incorrect path of the bat to the ball.
- Be sure to keep a nice, relaxed grip
- Grip the handle in the fingers and line up along the door knock knuckles
- Make sure the hands are at the top of the strike zone — or even slightly above
- Ensure the barrel is in a good launching position, somewhere around 45 degrees
- Make sure your eyes are parallel to the ground and your head is level
Now you are in a good position to decide if you are going to swing and hit that ball!
Looking for more softball hitting drills, tips and techniques? Then be sure to check out Championship Coach Sue Enquist’s other Softball Coaching Videos! Sue will share some great tips and softball pitching mechanics, hitting and much more! And don’t forget to Like Us on Facebook, where we share more great ideas and suggestions for your practice plan! You can also Follow Us on Twitter and Hangout with us at Google+!