This drill helps the player work on establishing a good base and fielding the ball out in front.
- Players line up in outfield.
- Coach slowly rolls the ball to a player, who goes down on one knee and catches it.
- Player should have glove side knee up and throwing side knee down.
- Player should sweep the ball into her glove with her throwing hand.
- Player then gets up and throws the ball back to the coach.
- As the player sweeps the ball into the glove she should be searching for the seams to get a good throwing grip on the ball.
- Players should always keep their body in front of the softball to keep it from skipping past them.
- Practice the drill without a ball to ensure players understand the fundamentals.
- Hit the ball with a bat to get a truer ground ball feel or use harder, more challenging throws.