A fun, game-like drill that works on baserunning and conditioning.
- Split your players into three teams.
- One team lines up at home plate as baserunners.
- The second team lines up behind first base as fielders.
- And the third team lines up behind third base as fielders.
- Coach kneels in soft-toss position 10-12 feet from home plate.
- The first player on the baserunning team steps up to the plate with a bat and helmet.
- Coach soft-tosses to the player. Shemakes a line drive swing, then begins sprinting around the bases.
- The first player in both fielding lines immediately sprints to retrieve the ball. Once both fielders touch the ball, the baserunner stops running.
- The baserunning team earns one point for every base the baserunner managed to reach.
- Repeat with the next player in the baserunning line.
- After all players have had a turn, rotate the teams to a new position. Keep track of the points and crown a champion.
- Place a cone in front of each base to help baserunners make the proper turn when approaching the base. Their goal is to try for an inside the park home run.
- Make it harder: Hit off live pitching instead of soft-toss. Have the fielder retrieve the ball then make an accurate throw to the coach to stop the baserunner.
- Make it easier: Hit off the tee instead of soft toss.