Develops quickness and agility out of the batterâ€™s box
- You can run this drill in the infield, or set up a home plate and first base in the outfield the appropriate distance apart.
- Place an empty tee on home plate.
- Players line up at home plate.
- Coach stands 10 feet up the first base line holding a tennis ball.
- The first player in line steps up to the plate with a bat and helmet
- She swings and hits the top of the tee (no ball is needed)
- At the moment of contact, Coach bounces the tennis ball into the ground
- The player explodes out of the box, drops her bat and sprints to catch the tennis ball before it reaches the ground
- After catching the ball, she sprints through first base, then gives the tennis ball back to the coach
- Complete one round with every player. Then gradually increase the distance to make it more of a challenge
- If the ball wonâ€™t bounce properly, try placing a home plate or other hard, flat surface on the ground to bounce the ball onto
- You can also do this drill running from first to second, second to third, or third to home
- Make it harder: Move the ball drop location closer to first base.Â Have a contest to see who can make the catch the furthest up the first baseline.
- Make it easier: Use a larger ball and toss it softly into the air first. The player has to touch it before it bounces twice.