Teaches players how to slide with proper technique, both back to the base and advancing to the next base.
- You can do this drill in the infield or set up four bases in any grassy area.
- The first player at each base starts with a foot on the bag.
- Coach calls out â€œLead Offâ€ â€“ the baserunner takes a 6-8 foot lead.
- Coach calls out â€œGoâ€ – all three baserunners sprint and make a bent-leg slide into the next base.
- The next player steps up, players move to the back of the next line and continue.
- Begin the slide around 6-8 feet away from the bag. Sprint hard and lower yourself into the slide. Do not slow down and lose momentum or youâ€™ll come up short.
- Extend the top leg forward while tucking the bottom leg under your knee, forming a figure four.
- Throw the hands up and lean back while gliding into the bag, touching it with your lead foot
- Make it harder: If coach calls out â€œBackâ€ – all three baserunners dive back to the base using proper headfirst slide technique.
- Make it easier: Lay out a flattened cardboard box in front of the base. This will reduce friction and allow players to slide more easily.