To improve a player reaction time when fielding.
- Make a square with 4 cones spread about 15 feet apart from each other. Coach stands in the middle with 4 tennis balls. Fielders line up to first cone with gloves on.
- First fielder in line takes their place at cone #1 facing AWAY from coach.
- Coach throws the first tennis ball toward cone #1 and yells “GO” as soon as ball is released.
- When fielder hears “GO” they turn around and catch ball.
- After catching the first ball, player drops ball to the ground and runs to cone two.
- Coach throws the ball to cone #2 as player is rounding the cone, so they have to catch it as their body is turning. If successful catch is made, player drops ball on ground.
- Play continues until fielder has rounded all four cones and coach as thrown all four tennis balls.
- At the end of the drill all four tennis balls are returned to coach and drill begins again with second player in line.
- Begin the slide around 6-8 feet away from the bag. Sprint hard and lower yourself into the slide. Do not slow down and lose momentum or you’ll come up short.
- Extend the top leg forward while tucking the bottom leg under your knee, forming a figure four.
- Throw the hands up and lean back while gliding into the bag, touching it with your lead foot.
- Make it harder: Players can start laying flat on their stomachs
- Make it easier: Lay out a flattened cardboard box in front of the base. This will reduce friction and allow players to slide more easily.