One of my favorite softball drills, while perhaps not unique, is an infield loop drill. This drill combines balance, footwork, glove work, throwing and conditioning into a single drill.
Infield Loop Drill
- Drill starts with players at 1st, home and 3rd and a ball in the pitcher’s circle. Coach hits a ground ball to 3rd
- Player fields the ball and throws to home.
- Player runs from 3rd to ball in circle, picks up ball and throws to 1st.
- She then runs around 2nd base (from the 2B side) to the SS position, where a ground ball will be there to meet her.
- She fields the ball and throws to first.
- She is hit a slow roller that she fields and throws home.
- Catcher then rolls out the ball which the fielder charges and throws to 1st.
- Players rotate (C to 3rd, 1B to C and 3B to 1B).
A fast paced practice drill that works on all the softball skills and drills!