I spend a lot of time working on accurate throws and aiming at a target with my 9th grade team. I call this the Target Drill.
We divide the girls up into equal teams of 4 or 5. Have one girl sit on a bucket on the 3rd baseline and the rest of their team lines up on the baseline between 1st and 2nd with 4 balls 10 feet in front of them.
- The first person in line runs up to the group of balls, grabs one and throws to the girl on the bucket.
- The girl on the bucket is not allowed to move, so the throws must be good.
- After she throws the first ball she runs back to her baseline, touches it, then runs back to the group of balls to throw another one.
- She does this until all 4 balls have been thrown to the girl on the bucket.
- If any throws go by the catcher she must wait until all balls are thrown to go retrieve them.
- The thrower becomes the catcher on the bucket and the catcher sets the balls back in their group and goes to the end of the line.
- The next girl in line now begins.
The team to get everyone to throw and catch first wins.