A fun, competitive game that practices throwing and fielding
- Using cones, set up a small soccer field with a midline across the center.
- Create a goal on each side using cones, hitting nets, trash cans or anything similar.
- Divide your players up into two even teams – one on each side of the field.
- Give each team 2 or 3 tennis balls or softie balls.
- The object of the game is to throw the ball into the other team’s goal.
- The ball must bounce before going through the goal – no line drives or fly balls allowed.
- The other team uses their gloves to field balls and protect their goal.
- First team to score five goals wins.
- Make the size of the field and goals appropriate for the level of your team/
- This game works best with a small pop-up soccer net, hockey net or lacrosse net.
- If you are using cones, goals should only count if they pass through the cones at waist height or lower.
- Encourage good ground ball fielding fundamentals – players should be in a ready position, use their feet to move their body into position, field the ball in a wide stance with the glove on the ground, gathering the ball into the belt buckle.
- Make it harder: Players can score by throwing ground balls or line drives. Add extra balls.
- Make it easier: Coaches play “goalie” so the players can focus on throwing.