Teaches players how to tag up and score on a sacrifice fly.
- Set up three outfielders in their positions, and a catcher at home.
- The remaining players line up behind third base.
- Coach stands at home with a bat and balls.
- Coach hits fungo fly balls into the outfield.
- The baserunner at third takes a lead, tags up, then goes home on the catch.
- The outfielder attempts to throw out the baserunner.
- Repeat, rotating new players into the baserunning and outfield positions.
- The baserunner can slide or swing wide of the catcher to avoid the tag
- A low, bouncing throw from the outfield is better than a high, slow throw
- Make it harder: Alternate between fly balls, ground balls and line drives. The baserunner must read the hit and decide whether to tag up or run straight home. Add a runner at second base into the drill. She tries to advance to third.
- Make it easier: Have a base coach at third to call instructions out to the runner – Lead, Tag Up, Go!